Sunday, August 27, 2006

P32 Part II

Sunday PM

The rain was light but steady and when Ned called me up I was just lying down on the couch and taking in a Turner Classic Movie; something I seldom have time to do during the day. But Ned was in need and the need was to get his boat off of our mooring and to his trailer so he could get the gum out. His engine was gummed up, most likely due to the recent ethanol additive to our fuel.

After two or three mishaps I managed to get my boat underway and over to Howlands and then to the boat on the Nook mooring. We towed it over to the ramp, got it up onto the trailer, and then, awkwardly, I left. We both noticed the massive build up of birds over Kingston Bay. I told Ned, "Can you manage a half hour on those fish..and maybe back at my spot?" But he sadly replied, "Nah, I'd better get to my next job...have to do an estimate."

Ned works all the time. He teaches in Cambridge (high school history) during the school season and also doubles up throughout the year at carpentry, painting, building, ... and all that is related. He works his ass off. He is admired, however, by all who know him and makes us all look like lazyasses (particularly me!). This is a noble man living a noble life (hopefully his wife is not reading this). But the problem with all of this is that he fishes. His dad is a fishing guide and Ned is glued to the water most of the time. Well, as we all know, fishing and work do not mix very well, and in Ned's case it is pretty bad. I really wanted him to join me out there after pulling his poor boat...but I knew, very deep inside, that such an antic would not go unnoticed and that the remainder of the season would then be vulnerable to scourge. So, after about a two-second discussion on the matter, I left Ned on shore with little argument and headed south to the fish.

I didn't expect much. Lots of birds, a single boat that gave up and left, and knowing that the cows were most likely further out. But when I arrived at the relatively large school of rolling fish I soon caught on and realized that these were, for the most part, very large indeed. First cast and I had a whopper. He stripped out tons of line, then he shook the hook. "Man!" But then within about 5 casts I had one on firm. He fought well, taking line, giving in, taking line...then kapoot, just like bass are. He measured 28" on the nose and was soon released. Then another massive fish. Tails in the air, slapping the calm water, and such. He spit the hook and my hopes were dashed.

Then a blue. A hard fighter. Lost him at the boat.

I just couldn't resist heading back to P32 and when I arrived the features that I have come to recognize were just emerging. I set up a drift, well above the sweet spot, and prepared the Cho Cherry Popper (CCP). First cast and the line was screaming at high pitch. This thing raced about 40 meters of line off my reel, and then mysteriously, it was gone. I retrieved CCP and began again and found nothing. The next drift was similar: first cast screamer...near the boat, and off.

This happened about 3 times and then I decided to head home.

Several keeper-sized fish on one Sunday. It is rarely better than this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home